Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Be there or be square: An unforgettable wine trail

These have been long pending “self-commitments” that were accomplished more or less at the same time! I finally created my weblog and paid a visit to the Sula vineyards of Nasik.

I am not too sure if you share the same sentiment, but I was impressed to see what I did! The winery is top! It is spacious, clean, well designed and classy. The forthcoming staff of Sula vineyards organized a crisp and snappy visit of the winery followed by an elaborate wine tasting session. The fruity and honey-like taste of Chenin Blanc is still lingering somewhere inside my mouth. We even tasted their new matured red, Dindori Reseve Shiraz. If I were to put it my way then it was comme ci comme ca…!
We started off with the sparkling blush. Trust me its pale pink colour and glint will remind you of Penelop Cruz in the recent L’Oreal TV commercial! I quite liked the late harvest desert wine and loved the idea of complementing my desserts with it.

Though it was time for lunch, we decided to take a little stretch break at the winery itself before heading to the recently opened Little Italy restaurant and ordered for some Chenin Blanc with a cheese platter. The silence of the vineyards and the relaxed airs helped us come over our fatigue, (we drove 4 hours from Mumbai to Nasik). We realized that the wine was settling in well when we heard the gradually ascending sound of our chiming laughter..

The interiors are again stunning! We were welcomed by a string of wine bottles suspended from the ceiling of the restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that the restaurant now served a non-vegetarian menu. We chose a table facing the Sula amphitheatre. We were not ready to give up on Chenin Blanc; and another bottle was ordered along with thin crust pizza, pasta arabiatta, a chicken starter and fuseli in cheese, and spinach sauce. Since we all believed in striking a balance in life, striking a balance of taste was not exception to this rule! Tiramisu and chocolate brownie for dessert gave us the required shot of glucose! The restaurant is surrounded by manicured verdant lawns which were so inviting. The thought of a power siesta crossed our minds but it was also time for us to start for Mumbai.

We landed up at the winery again to take back some so called tangible memories of the visit. Apart from premium wines, I bought back a Dia, a low alcohol wine meant to target the women drinkers!! It’s very strange but true; we got very attached to this place and my meandering mind is still trying to understand why??!! Well, I think I need to go back to Sula to get some answers….

3 comments:

  1. So, in which category you want me to bracket you? Fashion/Snob/Genuine? (Categories for wine lovers/talkers)
    Beautifully written piece. You can be a free lance food writer/critic. I will tell my folks to give you work to write for our website, of course I don't like to pay!
    Rajeev Matta

    ReplyDelete
  2. i 'genuinely' leave it upto your discretion!!. Thank you for the encouraging words. I dont minding writing if i am allowed to taste and travel. I am sure you'll agree. And will do it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you did start with the blog...nice... Have heard a lot about Sula and that they have the best winery in India. Nice piece of writing... and the pictures have come out good ( I saw them on FB).

    Good going!

    ReplyDelete